Farethere City (Japanese: Minoniyoku City) is an adventure game by Segawa made in RPG Maker 2000. It has no battles, three endings, and quite a bit of optional content.
Pigula, a boy full of curiosity, moves into a new home in peaceful Farethere City.
His dream is to open a general store to provide people the things they want.
He's told of a property up for sale that's ideal for his store, and begins to prepare as he gets used to town.
(Content Severity: Discretion Advised)
Click here for content warnings.
Topics of death and suicide.
Some horror-like segments (no big jumpscares (biggest is in an optional area), no chases).
Being sent to an unexpected, eerie area at random (when using the Mushroads on Day 4+).
Places/creatures with many eyes, or giant ones.
(Chrome may falsely flag the download as malicious, but it's safe to ignore.)
The game's engine is made for Windows only, with no native support for other platforms.
The multi-platform EasyRPG Player mimics the behavior of RM2K and RM2K3, but may not always be exact. (Make sure to treat the Data folder as the game folder, not the containing folder.) Also, for Macs, you can try a general-purpose tool like WineBottler.
Make sure to extract the game to its own folder instead of running directly from the ZIP file. If you don't do so, any saves made will be lost the next time you run the game.
If you get a DirectDraw error, right-click the EXE, go to Properties, Compatibility, and try other compatibility modes.
If the font doesn't seem correct, download and install the MS Gothic font.
RPG Maker 2000 has some inherent, unfixable control bugs ("automatically moving in a direction" or "no buttons work"). The issues often seem to involve gamepads, or getting "stuck" on an input if Shift and a Numpad key are pressed simultaneously. Thus, try fiddling with gamepads and your keyboard until it fixes. (Reinstalling the game likely won't help.)
If you get "not implemented" errors on or near startup, make sure you have a working sound device (speakers/headphones). It can also occur mid-game if your system doesn't like a particular MP3, in which case, try to delete or replace the file in Music.
You may get "RPG Maker 2000/2003 RTP is not installed" or missing file errors on startup. This can happen if the path contains special symbols, causing files (including RPG_RT.ini) to not be found. Try moving the game folder somewhere without any special symbols in the path.
Videos and live streams are allowed.
All the music is by Segawa, so refrain from reposting it.
Fanworks are allowed if they are clearly stated as fanworks and "are not made with the intent of profit." Segawa leaves it up to your own good sense where the border for this lies. (It states "if it's within the realm of hobby," so selling at conventions is likely fine.)
Do not repost or modify images from the game data or the official site. This includes the use of them for avatars or the like, as well as for use in sold fanworks.
A guide through the game and its optional content. There are also guides for all the things you can collect.
True Ending Requirements
1. Ensure Karakoro stays in Farethere City after Day 4.
- Step 1: On Day 2, chat with Docta at the hospital, who asks you to be friends with Karakoro.
- Step 2: On Day 2, take and complete Karakoro's bulletin board request. Eat the Saotome and read the diary there.
- Step 3: The night of Day 3, having done the above steps, talk to Karakoro at Aquarium Bar.
- Finally: Select "We're friends" on Day 4.
2. Collect the four music box parts before investigating the problem property on Day 6.
- Some Screw: On the floor in the problem property; disappears after it's cleaned up on Day 5.
- Screw With Handle: On the red spot during the dream on Day 2 - this is your only chance, so don't miss it.
- Small Wood Box: On Day 4, talk to Jekyll in the problem property to receive it.
- Electronic Music Box: Go to the Otherworld (you're randomly sent there when entering the blue mushroom Day 4+). Check the higanbana inside the community center until it takes you to the Blue Forest, and go all the way right to find the part.
Gallery, Food, and Dressup
Gallery White Row
- 1. Pigula's Profile: Already there when the Gallery opens on Day 2.
- 2. Rock with God's Grace: Eat Baguette from Crumble Bakery (Day 2/3/4).
- 3. Hopopo's Profile: Get your objective from him on Day 2.
- 4. Luna's Profile: Eat Twin Muffin from Sweet Gemini (Day 2/3).
- 5. Sana's Proifle: Receive the Mushroom Card Deux on Day 3.
- 6. Gemini's Profile: Eat Twin Parfait from Sweet Gemini (Day 2/3).
- 7. Hiro's Profile: Eat Homemade Croquette from Hiro (Day 2+).
- 8. Jekyll's Profile: Complete Day 3's objective.
- 9. Yakov's Profile: Eat Cafe au Lait from Ambrosia Cafe (Day 2+).
Gallery Green Row
- 1. Karakoro's Profile: Read the diary in the Saotome illusion.
- 2. Docta's Profile: Appears on Day 4.
- 3. Helpa's Profile: Appears on Day 4.
- 4. Garuru's Profile: Eat Crunchssant from Crumble Bakery (Day 2/3/4).
- 5. Gilbert's Profile: Eat Twin Tart from Sweet Gemini (Day 4+).
- 6. Jamiga's Profile: Eat Hot Cocoa from Ambrosia Cafe (Day 4 only).
- 7. Spee's Profile: Eat Twin Jelly from Sweet Gemini (Day 4+).
- 8. Michibiki's Profile: Eat Twin Yokan from Sweet Gemini (Day 4+).
- Purple Book: Eat Soybean Bar from the Nightmarket Candy Store.
- Yellow Book: Eat Mizuame from the Nightmarket Candy Store.
- Red Book: Eat Cocoa Cigarette from the Nightmarket Candy Store.
- Green Book: Eat Flute Soda Pop from the Nightmarket Candy Store.
- swim...: Complete Day 2's objective.
- Wall Drawing: Appears on Day 4.
- Torii: Talk to Izanai in the Otherworld.
- Thank You: Get True Ending 1.
- Intro: Start the game.
- First Love: Drink Funamori and First Love at Aquarium Bar (Day 2/3/4/5).
- Bananagain: Drink Bananagain Religion at Aquarium Bar (Day 2/3/4/5).
- Staff Roll: Get True Ending 1.
- Mirror: Eat Twin Cookie from Sweet Gemini (free on Day 1, or buy on Day 2/3).
- Cliff: Eat Steamed Bun from Crumble Bakery (free on Day 1, or buy Day 5+).
- Hospital: Eat Saotome from Karakoro (complete his request on Day 2, or buy before Day 4).
- Flowers: Eat Sandwich from Ambrosia Cafe (Day 2+).
- Bed: Eat Cream Roll from Crumble Bakery (Day 5+)
- Aquarium: Eat Seafood Pizza from Crumble Bakery (Day 5+)
- Eater Island: Eat Spicy Stir-Fry from Grove Club Village's Mr. Cook (Hasegawa from Karakoro's + Fresh Meat from Hiro).
- Shoal Shore: Eat Ando Soup from Grove Club Village's Mr. Cook (Ando from Karakoro's + Fresh Meat from Hiro).
- Rorschach Hospital: Eat Ohsosweet Compote from Grove Club Village's Mr. Cook (Day 5+, Ohsosweet Fruit from Eater Island + Show of Tears from Redshade Town + Sugar from small thing in Nightmarket).
- Forgotnot's Crescent: Eat Peppermint Candy from completing Spee's Day 5 request.
- Scarf: Tell Luna you're interested in fashion after meeting her on Day 1.
- Lightbulb: Buy from Blue Ribbon's Cool selection.
- Phone: Buy from Blue Ribbon's Cool selection.
- Butterfly: Buy from Blue Ribbon's Pretty selection.
- Pudding: Buy from Blue Ribbon's Pretty selection.
- Leaf: Buy from Blue Ribbon's Natural selection.
- Tree: Buy from Blue Ribbon's Natural selection.
- Slither: Buy from Blue Ribbon's Weird selection.
- Extend: Buy from Blue Ribbon's Weird selection.
- BOOK: Complete Gilbert's request on Day 2.
- Omen: Complete Michibiki's request on Day 4.
- Member: Take the Transform Drug during the plot on Day 4.
- Tricolor Dango: Complete Gemini's request on Day 6.
Talk to Hopopo at the property (the red-roofed house in the shopping district) and buy it. Talk to him again to receive the objective of meeting everyone.
Introduce yourself to everyone; you'll be informed when you finish. Go home and sleep.
Mystery Part #1 (For True Ending, Before Day 5)
Pick up the Some Screw on the floor in the problem property.
R-E-Q-U-E-S-T! (Day 1 Only)
After doing introductions, check the bulletin board on 2nd Avenue for a request from Jamiga. Go to Aquarium Bar and complete the lyrics with anything for 200 yen.
Free Samples (Day 1 Only)
If you talk to Gemini and Garuru again after introducing yourself, you can get a free Twin Cookie and Steamed Bun respectively. Eating these shows you "illusions." Be warned (or take advantage of the fact) that you're sent home after an illusion.
Get the Mushroom Card from Sana at the community center. Have Michibiki open the red Mushroad, then take it to Deepsea City.
Pick up the Bucket on the left (to hold shells) and the Small Rake in the sandbox in the lower-right. With the Small Rake, you can dig up some shells buried in the ground. There are also some hidden ones.
You can get endless shells from the crevice in the top-right, which respawn every time you go down (in random patterns). Keep collecting and selling shells to Mermech until you get 5000 yen. (And yes, other than sidequest rewards, this is the only way to get money.)
Give the money to Hopopo at the community center. Go home and sleep.
Befriending Karakoro #1 (For True Ending, Day 2 Only)
Chat with Docta at the hospital, who asks you to be friends with Karakoro. (There isn't anything more to it than that, but it's a requirement for the true ending route.)
Lost Something! / Befriending Karakoro #2 (For True Ending, Day 2 Only)
Take Karakoro's request from the bulletin board on 2nd Avenue. Find the Pretty Rock left of the community center and take it to Karakoro's shop. Eat the Saotome you receive. Read the diary in the room.
Mystery Part #2 (For True Ending, Day 2 Only)
Make sure to get the Screw With Handle on the red spot during the dream at the end of the day.
Book Report (Day 2 Only)
Take Gilbert's request from the bulletin board. Talk to him at the library, then talk to him again and choose a book. You get a BOOK outfit. (By the way, new readable books get added each day.)
Starting Day 2, you can buy outfits from Blue Ribbon and food from Karakoro's shop, Crumble Bakery, Sweet Gemini, Hiro's butcher shop, and Cafe Ambrosia. (All of these but Cafe Ambrosia close once you reach 5000 yen and it turns night, but all items from Day 2 are still available on Day 3.)
Eating food can either unlock profiles in the Gallery or show you "illusions," so for completeness, you should eat everything once. Note that Sweet Gemini changes stock on Day 4, as does Crumble Bakery on Day 5, so buy their first items before then.
Get the Mushroom Card Deux from Sana at the community center. Go to the problem property and talk to Hopopo. Ask Jekyll to help fix the register.
Have Michibiki open the blue mushroom to go to Grove Club Village.
Chat with Chairwom'n in the upper house with the horns to learn about the Circuit Cord. Inspect the fountain (from the front, at the center) and say "I'm exhausted... by reality..." twice to get the Circuit Cord.
Take the Mushroad path to Deepsea City, and you'll find the Gear in the middle of the path. Chat with Gilbert at the library to get the Wire.
Give the parts to Jekyll. Go home and sleep.
Befriending Karakoro #3 (For True Ending, Day 3 Only)
At night, after fulfilling the prior requirements, talk to Karakoro at Aquarium Bar. If the prior requirements were met, he'll mention "you too, Pigu!"
Bread Delivery Job (Day 3 Only)
Take Garuru's request from the bulletin board. Talk to Garuru, deliver the bread to Yakov, and talk to Garuru again. You get 400 yen.
Secret Between Men (Day 3 Only)
Take Hiro's request from the bulletin board. Talk to Hiro, then Docta, then Hiro again. You get Marbled Beef.
A door to Redshade Town appears by Thynon Bath (left of Pigula's house) on Day 3. You can get Show of Tears from the bottom-left-most building.
Place a Call
Talk to the Callman in Grove Club Village. Then go to the Callman in Deepsea City and call with him. You get 300 yen.
Eater Island & Shoal Shore
You can open optional areas by giving Mr. Cook ingredients and eating his meals.
Spicy Stir Fry is made with Hasegawa from Karakoro's + Fresh Meat from Hiro. This makes the door to Eater Island appear right of the community center. The most significant thing to find there is a person who gives you an Ohsosweet Fruit.
Ando Soup is made with Ando from Karakoro's + Fresh Meat from Hiro. This opens the wooden gates in the shopping district which go to Shoal Shore. There isn't much to find there, except a hint about a phone number.
Go to Karakoro's shop to learn that he's missing.
Go to Grove Club Village. Chat with the Chairwom'n about Karakoro. Go to leave, then follow Docta and Helpa into the bottom-right house. Go to Deepsea City and go up to Mermech's stand. You'll get the Transform Drug.
Use the Transform Drug and "Dressup" into a Member. Enter the secret area in the top-left of Grove Club Village. If you're going for the true ending, you'll get a choice; make sure to answer correctly.
Go home and sleep.
Answer the phone when it rings, then talk to mom. Look in the drawer by the phone. Talk to mom and leave.
Mystery Part #3 (For True Ending, Day 4 Only)
Talk to Jekyll at the problem property to receive the Small Wood Box.
Mystery Part #4 (For True Ending)
Go to the Otherworld; you're randomly sent there when entering the blue mushroom on Day 4+. Check the higanbana in the Otherworld community center until it takes you to the Blue Forest, and proceed all the way right.
Seabottom Flower (Day 4 Only)
Take Michibiki's request from the bulletin board. Talk to Michibiki. Go into the crevice in Deepsea City and pick the Umi-Basho at the bottom. Go back to Michibiki. You get the Omen outfit.
Hot Cocoa (Day 4 Only)
Since it's a rainy day, Cafe Ambrosia sells Hot Cocoa, which unlocks Jamiga's profile.
Shopping Round Two
On Day 4, Sweet Gemini replaces their selection with new items.
Talk to Hopopo at the problem property. Chat everyone with in Farethere City to find out what they want. (Technically not everyone has to be surveyed, but most do.)
Once done, it's narrowed down to three items. You need to collect other items that can be combined into these. You should have the Mushroom Card Trois from Sana. Have Michibiki open the yellow mushroom to Scraperton.
Clean Bottle: Deepsea City, sandbox in lower-right.
Aroma Essence: Grove Club Village, Member in top-right house.
Business Labels: Scraperton, "7" building, left room. Talk to the roach and open the box.
Business Notepads: Scraperton, top-right office building. Talk to the Officette in the bottom-right.
After collecting these four items, night falls back in Farethere. Talk to Spee on 2nd Avenue and go to Nightmarket. Go to the "necessities" shop near the top-right and say "I give up" to get the Cute Tape and Bath Salt Powder.
Combine all three item pairs at M&M in Scraperton. Go home and sleep.
Docta's Reward (Day 5 Only)
If you got the "true" resolution to Day 4, Docta will give you a Sparkling Shell, which sells for 5000 yen.
Shopping Round Three
On Day 5, Crumble Bakery replaces their selection with new items.
My Alarm Clock (Day 5 Only)
Take Spee's request from the bulletin board. Talk to Spee, then Jekyll, then Spee. You get Peppermint Candy.
Eat the Peppermint Candy from completing Spee's request to open the door to Forgotnot's Crescent in the library. It's an entirely optional area.
Make Mr. Cook's Ohsosweet Compote with Ohsosweet Fruit from Eater Island + Show of Tears from Redshade Town + Sugar from a small thing in Nightmarket. This unlocks the door to Rorschach Hospital (the left door in the community center). It's an entirely optional (and horror-like) area.
In Nightmarket, one of the Yoichi sells information. Ask about the Poem on the Wall to learn Farethere's password, "paradise."
Check the wall by the trash cans on 2nd Avenue and input the password. Go into the inn and find the Yokai in the rightmost room to learn the password for Deepsea City, "foam." Go in the bath and don't get out to learn the password for Grove Club Village, "wring."
At the Deepsea City Path of Rebirth inn, you can find another Yokai and learn the Scraperton password, "clock." This inn also has a guy who sends you on a stamp rally to all four of the inns.
- In summary, to complete the stamp rally:
- Buy the info about the poem from Nightmarket.
- Enter "paradise" on the wall by the trash cans on Farethere 2nd Avenue. (Just visiting this inn "unlocks" the other poems.)
- Enter "foam" on the tape in the Deepsea City Seaweed Cultivation building. Get the Stamp Card from the guy in one of the outer rooms, and get the stamp outside.
- Enter "wring" on the knife in the empty bottom-right Grove Club Village tent. Get the stamp there.
- Enter "clock" on the cracked cone at the north side of Scraperton. Get the stamp there.
- Return to Farethere's inn and get the stamp there.
- Return to Deepsea City's inn and see the stamp guy for your reward, the Omen Charm.
With the Omen Charm, you can enter the gray Mushroads mushroom to Omen Capital. The Temaneki in the back of town takes you to a phone in the Otherworld, which lets you call people using numbers hidden throughout the game.
In Deepsea City, talk to Maddock in the Seaweed Cultivation building, then get Regular Salt from the table in his lab.
In Grove Club Village, get more Aroma Essence from the Member in the top-right house. Also talk to the Member wandering by the fountain, then get Shaved Wood from one of the trees in the upper-left.
In Scraperton, go to M&M to combine the Aroma Essence and Shaved Wood into Incense.
Once you get the above items, night falls. Talk to Spee on 2nd Avenue and go to Nightmarket. Get the Charm from the "necessities" shop near the top-right. Have the Regular Salt turned into Purified Salt from the bottom-middle "curse" shop.
Go ask someone to come with you, then go to the problem property. Talk to your partner and investigate the back room.
If necessary, go home and sleep.
Sweet-Maker's Opinion (Day 6 Only)
Take Gemini's request from the bulletin board. Talk to Gemini. If you haven't, do the stamp rally quest to access Omen Capital. Ask the owner at the sweets shop for advice. Then return to Gemini for a Tricolor Dango outfit.
On Normal Ending
At the party, talk to Sana twice. Go to the community center and check the note on the floor.
On True Ending
At the party, talk to Hopopo. Leave and go home. Make your choice.
Note that during the bonus day, a special shop opens behind the right door in the community center.
Some of these posts may contain spoilers for any and all aspects of the game. Only read after you've beaten it fully.